Animated snap-photo feature has been enabled on social networks like Facebook, Tumblr and Google Photos, but Instagram is yet to add direct functionality till today.
However, here’s a workaround to post animated live photos on the image sharing app– all you need to do is convert your photos using Boomerang. However, there are few drawbacks – you can post only Live Photos which are taken in the last 24 hours.
Now, let me show you how to to that.
1. Open Instagram app
2. Swipe right to access your Stories
3. Swipe up on the screen
4. Now, you will be able to select from the photos in your phone camera roll that are taken since the last 24 hours.
5. After selecting your photo, convert it using Boomerang – the process is easy. Simply, you just need to do 3D Touch the screen exactly the same way you’d usually force a Live Photo into action.
6. After that you can simply post the Boomerang on your Instagram Story. You may send it to individual followers or maybe save it for later use to your Camera Roll.
7. After that, you can directly post to your Instagram, just like any other Boomerang.
As of now, that’s the only way to post a Live Photo on Instagram, a courtesy of Boomerang. However, my guess is that Instagram will soon come out with its own upgrade to give users a Live Photos feature.